Purpose: LEEPS volunteers serves as the key component of the Language Enriched Exercise Plus Socialization Program. The volunteer performs the intervention and exercises with the participant with memory loss. The volunteer represents the Aging and Disability Resource Centers and the Alzheimer’s Support Center when performing these tasks. Volunteering with LEEPS helps spread the word about Alzheimer’s disease, increase the physical abilities of participants, provide in-valuable services to the community and be part of new research in your community.
Location: LEEPS Volunteers will be going into participants’ homes to exercise with them, as well as into the community to socialization activities or volunteer together.
• Satisfactorily completes all required LEEPS training.
• Sets up weekly exercise sessions with participant.
• Safely performs physical exercises with participant in their home.
• Conducts appropriate language stimulation exercises with participant when exercising and resting.
• Plans and accompanies participant on socialization activities in the community.
• Arranges and accompanies participant on volunteer outings in the community.
• Records all hours including travel time on monthly log form and turns in to volunteer coordinator.
• Reports any problems or concerns to Volunteer Coordinator.
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator of specific region :
- South – Stephanie Koch
- North – Sue Price
- Rock County – Dana MacFarlane
Length of Appointment: The LEEPS Volunteer is assigned to meet with their participant twice a week for at least three months, or one school semester.
Time Commitment: Volunteers should have four hours a week to dedicate to the LEEPS program for a three month period.
Qualifications: Completion of LEEPS training, patience, dependable, strong communication skills, at least 18 years of age, willing to consent to background and driving record check, willing to work one on one with a person with memory loss, willing and able to exercise and assist with exercises.
Support: Training for this position will be provided. In addition, the Volunteer Coordinator will be available for questions and assistance.
or call for other opportunities & information! (608) 314-8500